Tectona Grandis. The King of Woods.
Teak is one of the world’s most valuable woods. Originally from Southeast Asia, it has been used for over 2,000 years. It was valued for its extraordinary durability and workable characteristics. In fact, teak can be found in temples and palaces in the Far East with floors, walls and even beams that have lasted for centuries.
US Thermal Wood imports teak from responsibly managed plantations in Costa Rica. Some teak available on the market is inferior quality compared to our Costa Rican Tectona Grandis. The wood is a natural mix of sapwood and heartwood: 30% to 70%. After thermal treatment, it turns a rich chocolate brown color. Like all woods, over time and with prolonged exposure to the elements, teak will turn a natural silver gray when installed outdoors.
The most beautiful and versatile wood in the world.
There are many advantages to using teak. Here are just a few:
- Teak is impervious to water and moisture.
- Teak is highly resistant to insects.
- Teak is very stable. Once put in place it will not move, buckle, cup or twist.
- Teak can be sanded to a very smooth, near “glass-like” finish.
- Teak can be stained to any color. Even when left unfinished it retains a beautiful, natural patina (which will silver over time)
The biggest advantage to using teak…it’s simply beautiful.
Teak – so versatile.
Teak is used for docks, residential decks, yacht decking and edging, stair treads, window trim, entry doors, indoor and outdoor furniture, decorative items, flooring and wall & ceiling paneling.